Walking as Jesus Walked

Having the Mind of Christ

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Covenant Prayer

One of the most meaningful prayers in the Wesleyan tradition is the Covenant Prayer used in many renewal services at the beginning of the year. It is a prayer that reminds us of the importance of dedicating one’s heart and life to God:

I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside by thee. Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to thy disposal.

And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

We don’t think it is too hard to imagine that as Christians we are to make this prayer a significant part of our devotional life. Nor do we think that it is too difficult to imagine that we would want to see all people throughout the church pray this prayer with a deep sense of purpose: to live in joyful obedience in the power of the Spirit.

As we begin a New Year, we pray that we in the church will want to pray the above prayer in such a way as to reaffirm our covenant to walk as Jesus walked; for regardless of who we are, we believe we all seek to find ways of following the God who knows our hearts and who will give us more than we imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment